PIE: A Book Review...and a real Pie too!

I am beyond excited to have my very on my blog! I am going to start my blog off on a post about my very favorite book. I had a great time reading this book with some kids over the summer. I know you're probably thinking....reading with kids over the summer?! I do a reading camp every year (Yes, a READING camp!) I'm sure their parents force them to attend, but I try to make it as fun as possible. It's just a way for me to share my love of reading with kids outside of the classroom. This summer we read the book PIE by Sarah Weeks. It is an AWESOME book! You can find the book HERE at amazon. Don't judge this book by the cover....I totally did and boy was I mistaken. I thought I would hate it, but I absolutely loved it! 


Here's a brief summary: When Alice's Aunt Polly, the Pie Queen of Ipswitch, passes away, she takes with her the secret to her world-famous pie-crust recipe. Or does she? In her will, Polly leaves the recipe to her extraordinarily fat, remarkably disagreeable cat, Lardo . . . and then leaves Lardo in the care of Alice. The story turns into a great mystery that your students will really enjoy!

I created a novel study for the kids to complete as we read the novel. You can pick that up HERE in my TPT store if you are interested in reading this book with your students. Here are a few examples of what's included with the novel study. 





Then.....we couldn't read this novel without actually baking a pie. Soooo we did! The kids had a blast! This book has a pie recipe before every chapter, so there were many to choose from. My kids decided to bake a peach pie and it was DELICIOUS. I am fortunate enough to have a full kitchen at my school that we could use to bake the pie. Look at how great it turned out....





We had so much fun and ate every last bite! 




2 comments: